Friday, July 18, 2014

Good & Evil Don't Jive, The Lord's Ways are Polar Opposite than the World's

EDIT* This just came to mind and I couldn't not add it in. Because I don't want to send the wrong message that those who are followers of Jesus need to go hide in a hole to stay away from the evil world. No, no...

Jesus did not avoid the evil, the dark, the unwanted....but He walked in such a way that those around Him were introduced to the Light. (And a choice was then up to them whether to follow or not) He did not go to the sinners to participate in sin, instead He wanted to show a different way. Even a different way than what the temple-goers, the religious folks thought to be "the only way." He lived with us for 33 years on this earth to show that change ultimately comes through a willing vessel and who is obedient to the Lord. He came not to hang out with sin, but to live alongside the sinners to show US how we should be living alongside sinners (who is US!)
Ultimate Love!!!!!

Today I was led back to a chapter in Psalm that I glanced at yesterday. There are some things I read that don't hit me in the gut quite as hard as others. This scripture isn't necessarily an easy read, but it is Truth and is just one of many verses that tell us that God can not tango with evil because He is a Holy God. The Bible does highlight God's main theme: unwavering, undaunted, unconditional love for humanity! As we read His Word we see that what He seems to be saying is, "I work differently than you all. You take the easy path, I took the road less traveled. You get upset with people and talk about them, but I show them love and pray blessings over them instead. You won't help even your own friends sometimes, but I DIED for the ones who were killing me." Now this is just my paraphrase on what I believe Jesus has shown in the Word to be the way to true life. It is completely and utterly backwards from what most of us have been taught,  whether at home or the church. It is time for believers to stop going to everyone and everything else to "learn" their behavior and way to excel in life and start going to the Word, the God who is perfect and just, righteous and holy, the Loving Shepherd! He wants intimacy with us. Intimacy requires spending time with Him, learning who He IS. So without further a do,  here is the verse in various versions so you can get a broader perspective on it if one has a term that is not so familiar.

Psalm 101:1-8
The Message (MSG)
A David Psalm
My theme song is God’s love and justice,
And I’m singing it right to you, God.
I’m finding my way down the road of right living, but how long before you show up?
I’m doing the very best I can,
and I’m doing it at home, where it counts.
I refuse to take a second look
at corrupting people and degrading things.
I reject made-in-Canaan gods, stay clear of contamination.
The crooked in heart keep their distance;
I refuse to shake hands with those who plan evil. I put a gag on the gossip who bad-mouths his neighbor; I can’t stand arrogance. But I have my eye on salt-of-the-earth people—they’re the ones I want working with me; Men and women on the straight and narrow—these are the ones I want at my side.
But no one who traffics in lies gets a job with me; I have no patience with liars. I’ve rounded up all the wicked like cattle
and herded them right out of the country.
I purged God’s city of all who make a business of evil.

Psalm 101:2-6
New Life Version (NLV)

2 I will be careful to live a life without blame. When will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a right and good heart. 3 I will set no sinful thing in front of my eyes. I hate the work of those who are not faithful. It will not get hold of me. 4 A sinful heart will be far from me. I will have nothing to do with sin. 5 I will stop whoever talks against his neighbor in secret. I will not listen to anyone who has a proud look and a proud heart.

6 My eyes will look with favor on the faithful in the land, so they may serve me. He who walks without blame will help me.

Psalm 101:2-6The Voice (VOICE)

2 I will seek to live a life of integrity; when will You come to me?
I will walk in my house with an honest and true heart.
3 I will refuse to look on any sordid thing;
I detest the worthless deeds of those who stray; evil will not get a hold on me.
4 I will rid my heart of all perversion; I will not flirt with any evil.
5 Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, I will silence; I will not tolerate a condescending smirk, an arrogant heart.
6 I will look for those who are loyal in the land so that they may live with me and know my pleasure. Whoever walks with integrity
will enter my service.

I hope we will read this and be willing to be offended by the Truth if that is what it takes to wake us up. I pray we will let God have His way in our hearts and lives, letting Him slowly transform us from the inside out so we CAN begin to walk in a way that will speak to those around us without us even having to speak. That is how Jesus presented himself as they made him endure the ridicules and persecution up to the cross. Out of everyone He had a the most right to stand up and defend himself, but He willingly laid down His rights to be obedient to His Father. Obedience was louder than anything.

Meghan W.

No comments:

Post a Comment